Ria's Collection: PESAHA PAAL

Friday, April 2, 2010

PESAHA PAAL


For me Holy Thursday/ Mondy Thursday always meant long hours of standing outside the crowded church and then sipping on the hot Pesaha Paal from church and home.


This year, I had to call Amma to get the recipe and as usual I got a reply of 'li'l bit of this & a li'l bit of that' :) So, I decided to dance to the tune and make it! And the end result was really delicious!

PESAHA PAAL
Recipe source: Amma

Coconut milk from 4 coconuts [Both thin & thick milk]
Jaggery- 1 kg
Rice flour- 3/4 cup dissolved in 2 1/2 cups of water
Dry ginger powder- 1/2 - 1 tsp or to taste
Cardamom powder- 1/2 tsp


Method:
  • Melt jaggery using 2 cups of water. Strain it. Let it cool.
  • Mix coconut milk + jaggery and cook it over a medium flame, stirring continously. Do not let it boil.
  • When it  is heated thoroughly, add the rice flour dissolved in water.Stir well.
  • Let it thicken a bit.
  • Add the powdered spices.
  • Let the milk cool down a bit.
  • Serve.


Me & my mom like this the best when chilled. We make this only once a year but would love to have it all around the year! :D So,we usually make a large quantity, send a share of it to our friends &neighbours and keep the rest for ourselves.

This is usually served with Indri Appam which is an unleavened bread. I couldn't make it this year...so we broke an Irish Soda Bread. I fell in love with that bread so much that I need to knead one very soon! :)


12 Comments:

Prerna said...

That's a nice recipe, I never heard of it though. How strange is that that belonging to different parts of the same country and north Indian cuisine and south Indian is so hugely different.
We also have a north Indian version of this but coconut milk is not involved and we put some dry fruits too.

Divya Kudua said...

I have heard about pesaha paal and indri ppam from my Xtian friends.Never knew it was made with coco milk & jaggery.I love the flavour coco milk provides and the final pic makes me drool:)

Lena Jayadev said...

Happy Easter Ria.. this is your fst Easter with Jobin, Congrats..:)
drink looks delicious..nice click.. :)

Rekha said...

Looks delicious and appetizing too..

Michelle said...

Coconute milk and ginger..yum! Totally unique beverage and one I'd like to try!

Swapna said...

Beautiful clicks Ria!!!I also posted our way of making Indari appam and paal in my blog:)...

Unknown said...

I've never heard of this either.. but the pictures are making me lament the fact! I wish I had a try!

Nivedita Thadani said...

I will go with others. Never heard of this!!
sounds delicious.
and pictures speak a lot. don't worry about the look, they are perfect.

Sanyukta Gour(Bayes) said...

Looks absolutely yummy n mouthwatering...

Sanyukta
http://creativesanyukta.blogspot.com/

Justbeanme said...

Looks refreshing,lucky next door neighbours!Like all ur other reader for me too this is so new drink!! hmm keep it coming ria

Unknown said...

That sounds heavenly!! Ria - but then all recipes from "ammas" are usually that way :) Lovely post!

Miriam Korula said...

i have never had this...but looks n' sound delish...:)...as always i'm loving the snaps...:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...