Ria's Collection: SAAG MURGHI

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

SAAG MURGHI

SAAG MURGHI
T he only reason for  trying out this curry was because, I do not like to eat greens in it's pure form. No matter what it is, I cannot. I like to combine it with some protein and that way, I just forget about the green goodness that's hidden in the sauce. My Spinach & Coriander Chicken Curry, one of my most popular recipes,is a good example. So, when I came across this recipe in 660 Curries by Mr.Raghavan Iyer, I made a mental note to try it as soon as I could.
SAAG MURGHI
I've never cooked with mustard greens so far. I've heard thats it's bitter. So, when we went to our Farmers Market last weekend, I bought a bunch of  mustard greens having this recipe in mind. Only after I came home did I realise that it also called for some Spinach. So, naturally, the curry didn't happen that day. It had to wait until we went and bought some spinach. Jobin's mom is visiting us now and she loves to eat greens,like most other people. When I told her I am planning on making this curry,she was equally excited.
SAAG MURGHI
Jobin loves dosa with chicken curry,of any kind.So, that was the combination we had,last night. This curry pairs well with pretty much anything...rice,rotis etc., I am not a fan of Palak Paneer and I did have a fear in my mind if it would taste like it.My fears vanished when I took a small bite once the curry was simmering away. It did taste different. It could be because there's chicken in it. The juices from the chicken can flavour the sauce like no other! The original recipe calls for a whole chicken cut into 8 portions. Even though I planned on making this curry for over a week, it never occured to me that I should be using a bone-in chicken. Instead, I went ahead with a different cut.So, if you are planning to sneak in more greens into your diet,try this curry. This is delicious and doesn't taste green,just the way I like it!
SAAG MURGHI

SAAG MURGHI
Whenever I am making a boneless chicken curry,I try to use boneless,skinless chicken thighs. Dark meat of a chicken is amazing and so full of flavour when compared to white meat,the breast of the chicken. I use chicken breast only for certain purposes,like kebabs,cutlets etc.Since I used a boneless cut of chicken, I had to alter the recipe as I went along.It was just a few shortcuts because the cooking time is much less than bone-in chicken.

SAAG MURGHI
SAAG MURGHI Serves 6

Ingredients
1/2 cup plain yogurt
2 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves and tender stems
1 tablespoon coriander seeds,ground
1 teaspoon cumin seeds , ground
1 teaspoon cayenne
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 chicken ( 3 1/2 pounds),skin removed,cut into 8 pieces
4 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 medium sized red onion,finely chopped
5 cloves of garlic,finely chopped
8 ounces fresh spinach,coarsely chopped
8 ounces fresh mustard greens,coarsely chopped
1 teaspoon rock salt, pounded

Method:
In a medium bowl, whisk together ingredients from yogurt through turmeric. Add the chicken to it, toss well to coat,cover and marinate in the refrigerator for a minimum of 1 hour.
Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large pan on medium high heat.Add the chicken pieces,reserving any marinade in the dish, Cook the chicken until light brown on both sides,about 5 minutes per side. Transfer the pieces to a plate.
Pour the remaining 2 tablespoon oil into the pan and when hot,add the onions and garlic. Reduce the heat to medium- low,cover the skillet and cook, stirring occasionally until the onions and garlic turn caramel brown,about 15-20 minutes. Add the chopped greens by the handful,cover the skillet and let it wilt. Repeat till the greens are over. Stir in the reserved marinade and 1/2 cup water. Cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally,to allow the greens to soften and the marinade to cook , 3-7 minutes.
Return the chicken to the pan and let it cook,covered for another 15-20 minutes. Carefully transfer the greens and any liquid in the skillet to a food processor and process to create a smooth sauce. Spoon this sauce over the chicken,sprinkle the rock salt and serve!

This curry was very well recieved by all of us.Ian proved to be a better eater than me! He loved the sauce and mopped it up with dosa,chapathi and even rice! The sauce is very mild,unlike our usual chicken curries. There's no cream in it, yet, it creates a beautiful silky sauce.It must be yogurt in the marinade! If you feel the sauce is thickening when it cools, feel free to thin it out using some chicken broth or even water!
I hope you enjoy this healthy & delicious curry !
 

0 Comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...